Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Quote Quiz

A couple of commentors have requested that I post the quote quiz that I give to my students. I had meant for this to be VERY easy extra credit for the students, but they ended up only able to get about 12 right.

If you are taking this, please don't cheat by using IMDB or Google, etc.


Name the movie which each quotation comes from. Each is worth 1 pt, but partial credit can be received for creativity and relative accuracy.

1. “I’m the king of the world.”
2. “Luke, I am your father.”
3. “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
4. “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”
5. “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
6. “Here’s lookin’ at you, kid.”
7. “I’ll be back.”
8. “You talkin’ to me.”
9. “I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!”
10. “Nobody puts Baby in a corner.”
11. “I feel the need – the need for speed.”
12. “Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac…It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!”
13. “They’re here!”
14. “I wish I knew how to quit you.”
15. “The rules of hair care are simple and finite.”
16. “Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me. Aren’t you?”
17. “You’ve got a baby…in a bar!”
18. Person A: “…why does the floor move?”
Person B: “Give me your torch” drops torch “Snakes. Why’d it have to be snakes?”
Person A: “Asps. Very dangerous. You go first.”
19. “Say ‘hello’ to my little friend!”
20. “I've seen an agent punch through a concrete wall. Men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air, yet their strength and their speed are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong or as fast as you can be.”
21. “There’s no crying in baseball!”
22. “Look around! You couldn't find a whiter, safer or better lit part of this city. But this white woman sees two black guys, who look like UCLA students, strolling down the sidewalk and her reaction is blind fear. I mean, look at us! Are we dressed like gangbangers? Do we look threatening? No.”
23. “You had me at ‘hello’”
24. "Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!”
25. “I love the smell of napalm in the morning.”
26. “What’s your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn’t Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?”
27. “In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression.”
28. “Love means never having to say you’re sorry.”
29. “No, she gets a special cologne... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.”
30. “I realize that when I met you at the turkey curry buffet, I was unforgivably rude, and wearing a reindeer jumper.”
31. “I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”
32. “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.”
33. “It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it. And this bag was, like, dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.”
34. “Summer romances begin for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common. They're shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, fleeting glimpse of eternity, and in a flash they're gone.”
35. “Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.”
36. “We have front row seats for this theater of mass destruction. The demolition committee of Project Mayhem wrapped the foundation columns of a dozen buildings with blasting gelatin. In two minutes, primary charges will blow base charges and a few square blocks will be reduced to smoldering rubble. I know this... because Tyler knows this.”

>12 right = more culturally aware than 18 and 19 year olds.
>24 right = more culturally aware than 24-25 year olds.
>30 right = geek

1 comment:

Dr Nate said...

OK, here's my stabs:
1. Titanic
2. Emp Strks back
3. Gone w/ th wind
4 Princs Bride
5 Godfaterh
6 casablanca
7 terminator
8 taxi driver
9 wiz of oz
10 dirty dancing
11 top gun
12 Caddyshack (gunga kalunga!)
13 poltergeist
14 Brokeback mtn
15 steel magnolias (that's a reach; sorry; rach guessed Hairspray....)
16 Graduate
17 no clue
18 indy jones (not sure which episode)
19 scarface (or is it serpico? something pacino)
20 matrix
21 leaqugue of their own
22 crash
23 jerry macguire
24 rudy (?)
25 Apoc. now (or possibly platoon, but i like the former for quotability - charlie dont' surf)
26 FM Jacket
27 Ferris B
28 love story (or is it An Inconvenient Truth? something to do w/ Al Gore....)
29 no clue
30 Bridg JOnes
31 Shawshank
32 pulp fic
33 Amer Beuaty
34 no clue
35 LA Confid.
36. FIght club (I am Steve's pancreas...)